Thursday, October 8, 2015

Why Popsicle Sticks and I DON'T get along!

It was during a recent post conference with a co-worker that student questioning strategies came up.  What I have been working on this year is really engaging all students.  Here is how I have been trying it....
  • Ask a question
  • Call on a student
  • Call on another student to clarify previous students answer
  • Ask another student to repeat 
  • Ask another student to put in own words
You get the idea.  This goes and goes and goes till I believe all students have an understanding and/or participation of all/most students.  It was suggested that I should use Popsicle sticks to make sure I get to all students.  Ok, I can deal with that but I almost fell off my chair when I heard the second statement.  To make sure that I reach all students, once I call on a student, I should NOT replace the stick in the cup!  NOOOOOOOO! I screamed in my head. 

What's my beef with Popsicle Sticks for Student Engagement? 


The first thing I thought of was what if I were a kid in my classroom.  I would pay really close attention till my name got called and then I would check out because my job was done!  

So today on my way home from work, I called Annie because I felt that this subject matter was an "Annie" topic.  Her first reaction was , "Oh NO!"  After she talked me off the Popsicle Stick ledge, she shared me her tricks for the sticks!  Thanks so much!   

So here is the alternative to Popsicle sticks!  Random Name/Number generator.  This essentially does the same thing as the sticks BUT if completely random.  I haven't done much digging into this yet but I found this one that is user friendly and fast!   I think an app for this would be great that I could just have on my phone/iPad.  One more awesome thing about this random name picker is that it is based on Math and when a student says "You're picking on me" because they have been picked numerous times,  I can point out that I had nothing to do with it!

What strategies do you have for calling on students and making sure that all have a chance to speak? 

Katie 

***Update***
I was in my PLT meeting today after school and this exact topic came up!  The pros/cons of popsicle sticks, random number generator and random name generator.  The general consensus is that they are acceptable AS LONG AS the sticks are put back!


No comments:

Post a Comment