Friday, February 14, 2014

Being a fantastic Auntie!

So although I do not have children, my sisters (in-law) DO have children so I get to do so many fun things with them!  This past weekend I got to make Valentine's with them for their schools.  I have been seeing the melted crayon hearts all over Pinterest and I have been dying to make them.  I committed to making them this year and then got my nieces on board!

So I started the night before by putting hot tap water in a bowl with the crayons to take the wrappers off.  Good thing I did because it would have been a real bore with three year olds!

Now came to the breaking part.  The girls were really good at this!  They had a blast doing it also.  I was worried there might have been tears for broken crayons but luckily they have grown out of that stage!

So after all crayons were broken, they took quick work to filling up the silicone lip molds I found at Michael's where I live.  My brother tried to teach his daughter how to put the crayons in correctly but she seemed to ignore his instructions and do how she felt was right.  In all truth, there was no wrong way!  I did let them fill them by themselves and before I put them in the oven, I evened them out a little bit.

After baking them at 230 degrees for about 15 minutes, I took them out, stuck them outside for 5 minutes (due to the 'Polar Vortex' we have been experiencing, cooling time was extra short!) and they were done!  I wish I snapped a picture of their faces when they saw them for the first time.  They could not believe that THEY made those!
The girls finished them off by putting in a clear little bag, a note and signing their names (which ended up being first initials only) and I tied them up with a ribbon.  Great time had by all participants!  I can't wait till they are in elementary school to do it all over again with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment