Saturday, February 1, 2014

Technology in the classroom

Just recently at our "make up" institute day, we were educated about the SAMR model.  This model states that there are enhancements that can be done with technology and then there is transforming education with technology.
Image created by Dr. Ruben Puentedura, Ph.D. http://www.hippasus.com/rrpweblog/

This has me thinking how I use the 1:1 technology in my classroom.  Many of the activities I do enhance learning but how can i get to the coveted "transforming" level?  

This past week, I stepped into transformation for I believe the first time.  It was scary, it was frightening BUT i think that it worked.  We have been studying the Pythagorean Theorem and my goal was to increase students awareness of angles around us.  I created a pages file that each student downloaded.  I find that making a template for them works best for me so everyones work is organized!  
Below is a students work submission.  


This student loves sports so it was appropriate that he chose a goal post.  We talked about his picture because it wasn't square in the picture but he stated that he knew without a doubt that indeed, a goal post was a right angle.  As you can see, I had the student complete their work on a wipe board in class, take a photo using photo booth and insert it into the document.  

The second part of the assignment was the transformation part I was talking about.  I had each student post on eChalk their findings and then they had to leave constructive feedback for 4 other students work.  Looking at the responses,  the students really did well!  

If I had to do it again, I would think about the questions more and make them more meaningful.  I would also possibly make sentence starters for their responses to foster deeper reflection.   Overall, a good day math class! 

No comments:

Post a Comment