Thursday, November 20, 2014

Class Dojo and my Classroom

This year I have started using Class Dojo with my classes.  I explain Class Dojo as a way to communicate, track and recognize non-academic behaviors in the classroom.  It is a FREE user friendly program that is web based.   I loaded all my classes on the computer but I primarily use the app on my iPad because it is even easier to use!  The premise behind what they call "Awards" is that positive awards give points, and needs work awards take away points.

I use Class Dojo to communicate with parents.  There is a messaging feature built into the program that will allow you to send whole class broadcasts or messages to individual students parents.   I use class broadcasts to keep parents informed about things in the classroom and other team reminders such as field trips, report cards, announcements, etc...  I also will message individual parents from time to time.   I send good notes home, when they happen, like a text message and same thing with student improvement concerns.   I have also heard from parents that they like using the Dojo because it less formal than an email and comfortable like a text message.

I use Class Dojo to track student homework completion, readiness to learn, behaviors that I value in students and many other things.  For example, at the beginning of class I go around and select the students who completed their homework and then 'Give Award' to those students.  It is also really helpful during group work.  I can look around and track which students are on task and off task.
 I give more positive awards than 'Needs Work' awards because I want the students to be recognized for good things.  With that being said, I have also identified 8 point take away behaviors.  When parents see negative behaviors awarded they ask questions and want to help correct the problem.  

I use Class Dojo to recognize students and reward them.  I have created a Class Dojo point cash out system.  Every 2 to 3 weeks, I record their cumulative point total and let them choose what they want to do with their points.  They can buy raffle tickets (currently for a Rubik's cube) , pencils/erasers or a free lunch period with their Dojo Points OR they can turn their points into PBIS Awards.  PBIS Awards can be used at the monthly school store for cool little things or out of uniform passes.   Along with 'cashing' each student out, I recognize the student in each class with the most points and the class with the highest average point total per student.  These students get a free raffle ticket for working hard!

Why do you love you Class Dojo? 


No comments:

Post a Comment